Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Monday, October 6, 2014

wasn't very realistic to me

Side Effects May Vary by Julie  Murphy
Side Effects May Vary

By: Julie Murphy

Genre:  YA realistic fiction

Pages: 330

Published: 2014

Audiobook: 8 discs (9 hours 15 mins)

Read: September

2.5 0ut of 5

I was really bothered by the main character, Alice. She was a manipulative, back stabbing, friend-using witch. Usually getting emotionally charged by a book doesn’t negatively affect my passion for the story, however I never understood why Alice was more upset about her cancer going into emission then when she found out she had it in the first place. This would have more sense if it foreshadowed that Alice was suicidal or depressed; to me she just seemed wicked. I have never heard or met anyone who decides to seek out revenge and “use” their best friend upon discovering they have cancer. I felt sorry for Harvey; he was naïve. I expected the story to be more realistic. But I guess side effects may vary, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment