Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Monday, July 7, 2014

a good fantasy novel

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
The Ocean at the End of the Lane

By: Neil Gaiman

Genre:  Adult fantasy

Pages: 181

Published: 2013

Read: June

3 out of 5


Fantasy is another genre I don't read very much, however I did enjoy Gaiman's juvenile book, The Graveyard Book.  While I feel Gaiman writes extremely well and I did enjoy this story, I don't believe I have the imagination to take myself into this realm.  There are several reasons I did enjoy the story though. I loved how it was told as a flashback to his childhood when a grown man visits the town where he grew up.  It was easier to imagine the fantasy from a seven year old's perspective, plus I believe adults often do just that when thinking back to their own childhood.  It did drive me crazy that Gaiman never states whose funeral the man goes back for, especially since nothing before has encouraged him to return.  I believe this would be a great introduction to the fantasy genre for readers who want to venture out of their comfort zone - short, easy to read and enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment