Heather's books

Sarah's Key
Room
Rainwater
The Help
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
The Lightning Thief
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Notebook
Eat, Pray, Love
The Time Traveler's Wife
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Heather's favorite books »

Saturday, April 19, 2014

A YA Satire...

Beauty Queens
Beauty Queens

By: Libba Bray

Genre: YA fiction

Pages: 396

Published: 2011

Audiobook: 12 CD’s (14 hrs 28 mins)

Read: April

1 out of 5


I had the honor of hearing Bray speak in 2012. She has great character and quite a sense of humor, so maybe I should have expected this. However, the only other book of Bray’s I read is The Diviner’s, which was not a slapstick book.  The Diviner’s may have been a slow start, but it was thought-provoking, well thought-out with a well-developed plot. This one was a painful read. I realize that this book was a satire, but it followed no structure, made no sense, and was plain old stupid. The cover and description should have been my clue to knowing this would NOT be a book for me (Yes, I also dislike Jim Carey!) There were a few and only a few laughable moments – but then the commercial breaks, pirate rock stars, and not-very-funny footnotes ruined those moments too. The only redeeming quality was that Bray read it herself and she has a great voice with lots of character.  I may finish The Diviner’s trilogy, but I will not be reading anymore Bray.  

No comments:

Post a Comment